How far is 10 kilometers?
How far is 10 kilometers? If you ever want to find that out, I suggest you to run a marathon or set the distance on the treadmill. It’s quite a big deal for me personally. And then we are going to add a few zeros behind the 10km you’ve run.
From year 2011 to 2015, a total of 93,100km of new roads were added in Malaysia, with 68% of road network growth:
- a)cargo and container volume increased by 23%, supported by the two major ports of Port of Tanjung Pelepas and Port Klang,
- b)The number of air passengers grew by 46% in the period, supported by a new runway and terminal (KLIA2).
With the above promising figure, the broadband penetration stands at 70% in 2014, a total of 56,000km of fibre was rolled out, so internet user increased dramatically in our country; jobs were created by attracting Multinational Corporation (MNC) and other investment; private sector were benefited by the project sum; travelling time was reduced and national efficiency was increased.
Road networks are vital for our economy development. So what’s next?
Roads are just like your vehicles, it requires regular maintenance over the years. Freedonia, the United State Research group, forecasted that through 2019, the asphalt demand will advance 3.1 percent annually, supported by the pressing need to fix and repair older roads and highway. So scientist and experts are finding ways to give us a more sustainable highway constructions solutions.
- a)Warm Mixture Asphalt
- Warm Mix Asphalt (WMA) as a green technology, permits production of asphalt mixtures at lower temperatures compared to conventional Hot Mix Asphalt, blended at 150 degree celcius; promote emissions and energy consumption reduction
- b)Warm Mixture Asphalt modified with Crumb Rubber Modifier
- shows lower rutting depths compared to those without Crumb Rubber Modifier
- minimize pollution resulting from waste rubber tire
- c)plastic waste – Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET) in asphalt pavement
- Utilizing of PET would improve properties of flexible pavement such as increasing of stability, stiffness and viscosity, hence it can improve stripping, thermal cracking, temperature susceptibility, fatigue damage and rutting resistance.
- utilizing polymers as a modifier to the bituminous mixture would solve the problem of safe disposal of waste plastic materials in an eco-friendly way.
- d)The use of recycled materials, primarily reclaimed asphalt pavement (RAP) and reclaimed asphalt shingles (RAS)
- reduces the stream of material going into landfills
- reduce overall mixture cost
- More than 1.11 million tons of other recycled materials were reported as being incorporated into asphalt pavement mixtures during the 2015 construction season, included ground tire rubber, blast furnace slag, steel slag, and cellulose fibers
In demand of road making, One Machine Engineering Sdn Bhd manufactures machinery spare parts to assist our road construction clients.